Dhammayazika Phaya (ဓမ္မရာဇိကဘုရား)
Burmese. ‘Royal Crown of the
Pagoda’, ‘Pertaining the
Righteousness King Pagoda’
or ‘Pertaining the King of Law Pagoda’.
Name of a Buddhist temple in
which is located to the west of Pwasaw Village and to the southeast of Old Bagan.
This brick structure with a bells-shaped golden
was built in 1198 AD, by King Narapatisithu, in order to house four holy relics
that the latter received
from the King of
the preceding year.
Its has three pentagonal terraces, that contain
a number of gilded
several greyish sandstone
well as some outward facing and seated
guardian figures in red-orange-brown rust colour, whilst the walls of the
highest of the these receding terraces was originally ornamented with
depicting scenes from the
jataka, though many of those have
over time gone missing.
temples of this period have four
facing the cardinal points and
of the present world cycle or
who have already attained
Dhammayazika Phaya actually has a fifth
Buddha image (hence its
pentagonal layout), namely
the future buddha, who is yet to come (fig.).
Also referred to as